|Anonymous | Login | Signup for a new account||2019-06-26 04:57 CEST|
|My View | View Issues | Change Log | Roadmap|
|View Issue Details|
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0001485||aMule||Misc||public||2009-02-04 08:34||2009-02-11 22:32|
|Target Version||Fixed in Version|
|Summary||0001485: remote homedir causes hangups|
|Description||i was using amule on a system where my homedir is on a NAS device accessible through 100baseT internet. this works fine in most cases, but did not work with amule. i experienced long periods of the UI being unresponsive, and a corresponding pattern of regular loss of all connections. frustrating. when i eventually moved my ~/.aMule into /var/amule and did export HOME=. i could see that using the local disk, connections persisted longer, there weren't the UI delays, and performance was much improved.|
this sounds simple, but it took a year or more for me to put all the pieces together. i got no help in the irc channel and couldn't find any other relevant tickets. amule is the only program i have which totally malfunctioned in the remote-homedir case. it could do better.
|Tags||No tags attached.|
|Fixed in Revision|
|i should mention that through strace i saw a long series of writes to key_index.dat that were of under 10 bytes each.|
|sorry. also, that downloads were terminated in this condition, but uploads continued at all times. thus, with the problem i described, my U:D ratio would be much higher than i desired, 5:1 or more.|
Did you have your temp files on the NAS too?
I don't know exactly how your network file system works, but there is at least one critical case: when a near-end part arrives and the temp file suddenly grows in size. If the grow happens by physical transfer of data to the file you will have a problem if it's on a network.
I'd prefer to have such issues discussed on the forum instead of here.
sturedman, yes, initially the temp files were on the NAS too. i accidentally launched it with local conf files and remote temp files, though, and that worked correctly, so i guess it had to do with access to the confs.
the problem you describe sounds like something that would happen sporadically, but this was a regular problem.
|2009-02-04 08:34||brick||New Issue|
|2009-02-04 08:34||brick||Operating System||=> Linux|
|2009-02-04 10:08||brick||Note Added: 0003074|
|2009-02-04 10:10||brick||Note Added: 0003075|
|2009-02-06 21:15||sturedman||Note Added: 0003077|
|2009-02-11 22:32||brick||Note Added: 0003080|
|Copyright © 2000 - 2019 MantisBT Team|